Saturday, August 21, 2010

Meals on sale

As I browse through the weekly ads this week, I make a mental list of the dinner items on sale that my family will eat and that stay within the confines of our healthy diet.  At Publix, I note shrimp, rotisserie chicken, chicken breast tenders, ground beef, and tilapia.  Shrimp is so yummy when tossed in a bowl with a tiny bit of olive oil and the grated peel of a lime.  I have a flat top grill that flips into a graded grill that I am just in love with, for healthy, easy cooking with kids it's awesome.  I just toss the shrimp on, no skewering required and cook for a few minutes, tossing with tongs.  Then I top a salad of some sort with these yummy shrimp or serve with a steamed veggie and brown rice (your choice).  If you're in a real hurry, the quick cooking rice goes on sale every few weeks and I tend to stock up, because you only have to microwave it for 90 seconds and coming in from a long day's work, I never feel like cooking for more than 15 mins tops. 

The rotisserie chicken is wonderful too,  you can quickly shred it and use it for so many dishes.  With a little bit of mole sauce, cumin, and oregano, you can make the yummiest chicken tacos.  Serve these with a salad or black beans and rice, Mmmmmm - it makes me hungry just thinking about it.  If you have leftover shredded chicken, throw it in a Ziplock bag or Tupperware and use it during the week for sandwiches.  If you're in the mood for spaghetti this week, Publix has ground beef, Barilla pasta, and bag salad on sale this week.  Spaghetti sauce has been on sale for the last few weeks, so if you stocked up like I did, you can easily make a pot of pasta that serves 6 people with a small salad for approx $7.00.  $1.17 per serving for dinner is exactly what I'm aiming for.

If you shop at Food Lion, your menu should include Shrimp skewers, ground beef, pork loin, and chicken breasts.  At Kroger, the ad changes tomorrow but if you are shopping today, the menu should include pork loin, salmon, chicken breasts, tilapia, and rotisserie chicken.  Happy planning and shopping this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment